About the fund
The RHA Benevolent Fund has been set up to give people a helping hand when they need it most. The charity exists to support RHA members and their staff, both past and present, during financial hardship.
This includes members and former members of the RHA, their employees and former employees, as well as their dependents.
What can it be used for?
The fund has helped hundreds of people in many ways over the years. It can be used for:
- Help with much-needed aid equipment such as wet rooms, wheelchairs, specialist beds, etc.
- Help with outstanding bills
The fund can also be used to finance training. Any drivers made redundant by RHA members can apply for a free day’s Driver CPC or an HGV driver medical to help them get back to work.
Moreton Cullimore, RHA Chairperson and Managing Director, Cullimore Group of Companies
"One of our drivers suffered a stroke which prevented him from driving a truck again. The Fund helped him with the financial stress he found himself in. He and our company are really grateful for their support."
Lesley O’Brien OBE, Managing Partner, Freightlink Europe
"The Benevolent Fund is one of the jewels in the crown of the RHA. I would urge HR managers, business owners and driver trainers to raise its awareness which can be accessed in complete confidence."
Scott McIntyre, Managing Director, Stuart Nicol Transport Ltd
"The RHA Benevolent Fund is an amazing offering which supports past and present members of the RHA family in their time of need. "
How to apply
You need to have an RHA connection to apply for support. Similarly, you can contact us if you know someone with a connection to the RHA who could benefit from the fund.
You can apply either by email or post using the application form below along with accompanying documentation. Each application will be assessed on its individual circumstances. A checklist of the information required can be found of the final page of the application form.
To find out more about how you can help, or to let us know of someone who needs our support, please contact us at [email protected] or alternatively please call Naomi Hirst (Fund Coordinator) on 01733 856616.
How to support
The Benevolent Fund is mainly financed by donations from RHA members and money raised at social functions. You can contribute to the fund in a number of ways, either as an individual or an organisation, and by doing so will be supporting your industry peers in times of need.
You can donate to the fund by:
- Make a monthly donation - Donate by direct debit. It’s an easy and convenient way to support our work. Make a difference not just today but every day and allow us to deliver more high quality support.
- Make a single donation - Make a single donation using a debit or credit card. It’s quick, easy and secure and you'll be making a difference today.
- Donate by post - Please make cheques payable to: RHA Benevolent Fund and mail your donation to: Benevolent Fund Coordinator, RHA, Roadway House, Bretton Way, Bretton, Peterborough, PE3 8DD.
- Fundraising events - Have fun and raise money either by taking part in one of our events or by creating and running your own. RHA members who already raise money for local charities can choose to make a contribution to their own benevolent fund.
- Legacies - You can make a lasting difference by leaving a gift to the RHA Benevolent Fund in your will. It’s so easy to arrange and your legacy will help ensure the security of the fund for years to come.
- Become a Centurion - Centurions participate by investing £100 in the fund at the beginning of the year. Each month a Centurions’ draw is held, with cash prizes ranging from £50 to £125 and every June a cash prize of £500 is awarded.
We’re encouraging RHA members to raise awareness of the fund amongst their staff and to help with this have created a poster to be printed and placed on notice boards across your organisation. You can download this here.
Remember, both individuals, sole traders and partnerships can make tax-free donations under the Gift Aid scheme.
The assets of the RHA Benevolent Fund are held in trust by elected trustees drawn from the RHA’s Board of Directors, the association’s regional councils and representatives from member companies. The finance department at the RHA’s head office in Peterborough administers the fund.
RHA Benevolent Fund – registered charity number 1082820