Driving Licenses

Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a public road must hold a driving licence showing an entitlement to drive the type of vehicle being driven.

Goods vehicle driving entitlements fall under the following headings:

•    For driving cars and light goods vehicles (i.e, not exceeding 7.5 tonnes gvw) an entitlement covering vehicle Categories B and C1 is required

•    For driving large goods vehicles (i.e. exceeding 7.5 tonnes gvw) an entitlement covering Category C is required

•    For driving vehicles towing a trailer exceeding 750kg gross weight, a licence covering Category B+E or C1+E for cars and light vehicles towing trailers or C+E for heavy articulated vehicles and drawbar combinations is required.

Warning: It is illegal for any person who does not hold the correct entitlement (full or provisional) to drive a large goods vehicle over 3.5 tonnes gross weight on the road. It is an offence to cause or permit (i.e to employ) any person to drive a vehicle unless they hold a correct and valid entitlement.  Driving without a correct licence invalidates the vehicle insurance.  Note that those drivers who passed their Category B test after the 1st January 1997 cannot drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes without taking a further test (Category C1).

Note: The information above may differ for Scotland and Northern Ireland.


More information on driving licences including:

•    EU vehicle categories

•    Old-type licences

•    Minimum age for drivers

•    Vision requirements

•    Medical requirements and examinations

•    Licence validity

•    Lost or defaced licences

•    Application for an LGV driving entitlement

•    Learner LGV drivers

•    Production of driving licences

•    Exemptions from LGV driver licensing

•    Professional driver training

•    Enforcement


Further information

For further information contact the helpdesk, your area manager or regional office.