Road haulage is essential for the people and businesses of the UK.
A few facts:
- 80% of UK freight is moved directly by road (but even the 20% that is not moved by road often needs road haulage to complete journeys to/from ports, airports or rail terminals).
- 2.2 million people work in the haulage and logistics industry
- The sector is the UK’s fifth largest employer
- 600,000 Goods Vehicle driving licence holders
- Industry worth £74Bn to UK economy
- 496,800 commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes are registered in the UK.
Road transport is a highly competitive and low-margin business. It is a service-driven industry, responding to fluctuating customer demand.
The industry today is strongly IT-led, most operators work within a tightly regulated licensing regime that actively promotes road safety compliance.
The sector has to deal with variable road conditions and sometimes appailing congestion while delivering safely on-time to customers..
Its environmental performance has been transformed; the latest Euro 6 lorries are recognised by TfL as compliant with the planned Ultra-Low Emission Zone. Modern lorries are efficient and quiet
This is the industry that the Road Haulage Association represents – modern, innovative, clean, committed to safety, a substantial employer in its own right, all-pervasive and essential to the success of the UK economy. Its voice needs to be heard.