Road haulage is an essential enabler of economic growth, employment and wealth creation.
A few facts:
- 80% of UK freight is moved by road
- 2.2 million people work in the haulage and logistics industry
- The UK’s fifth largest employer
- 600,000 LGV licence holders
- Industry worth £74Bn to UK economy
- 496,800 commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes are registered in the UK.
Road transport is highly competitive and low-margin. It is a service-driven industry, responding to fluctuating customer demand. The industry today is strongly IT-led and operating within tight constraints in terms of both regulation and road conditions. Its environmental performance has been transformed; the latest Euro 6 trucks achieve extremely low pollution levels and are efficient and quiet. Road haulage has an excellent road safety record.
This is the industry that the Road Haulage Association represents – modern, innovative, clean, committed to safety, a substantial employer in its own right, all-pervasive and essential to the success of the UK economy. Its voice needs to be heard.